Sunday, September 30, 2007

Get a FIRST life !!!!

Where have I been? I had never heard of Second Life until I read the articles for this week. It is a virtual world that enables you to do almost anything you want. Is it a joke? Maybe I’m just new at this virtual world thing, but it doesn’t make sense to me at all. Why are people wasting their time sitting in front of a computer walking around with their simulated twins in their imaginary world doing what they normally do in their REAL life. Seriously, there has to be something else they could be doing than playing around in a 3D world.

On another note, everyone has the right to their opinion, and obviously people see this as an opportunity to do business and communicate with others, because SL continues to grow, but I just don’t see it. I can’t understand how companies are joining this world to promote their products. Then again, I’m new at this, perhaps when I get to experience and understand it I’ll change my mind …… Nah! I don’t think so.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Exactly.

rachbrandon said...

Yeah, I'm with you, altough I have one guess. Maybe we were outside with the 3d people... I don't know, maybe it could be big for business. Although I personally wouldn't buy ad space in it because if you have ever heard of it, and I definetely have never heard of it than the chances of this beign true for others must be quite high. I've decided to chalk it up as a invisible doll house for grown ups.

Alec Fisher-Lasky said...

I think the appeal of buying ad space in Second Life, or having a virtual campaign headquarters there, is that it's like a cooler more interactive version of a web page. If your looking for info on a product or campaign and have Second Life then an ad space not only allows you to interact with the product but also meet other people looking at the same thing.

Joe Khedouri said...

I hear what you're saying, but i believe a lot of the time spent on SL is during work hours. So, for most people, they are not using their personal time on SL, but are being paid with real money while on SL. Also, if 9 million people are on it, then something must be working positively.