Sunday, December 2, 2007

lets get real...

After reading the Fatdoor Blog and Changemakers.net, I couldn't help but ask myself, where are we going with all these innovations in technology?

Before starting this class I had little knowledge about the numerous opportunities that are available to us on the Internet. I really thought that I was technology-savvy, but was I wrong. Every week I read about a new way that social networking is used. I understand that it helps us find connections with others with whom we share similar characteristics; it helps build relationships; hold meetings, and find long lost friends. And, I know that throughout the course of the semester I have come out as a pessimist, almost all my blog posts have been skeptical and negative, and once again, using social networking to support social good seems a little unreal to me.

Even though these programs were created with a useful purpose, trying to unite people and communities, and finding ways for helping those in need, I find it hard to believe that they can be effective when we live in a world were almost everyone only cares about themselves and their own personal interests. Would you really help someone you have never met before? People are sometimes reluctant to help the ones they do know, why would they help a stranger move into their new apartment? And why share your common interests with people you don't even know? And, transferring money out of your bank account to help a homeless person? PLEASE!

I'm just not sure that just because people can now be aware of these applications and opportunities they will take action.

2 comments:

Mike said...

When was the last time you went to a bar and a guy bought you a drink? When was the last time that you met someone randomly and stayed in contact with them? When was the last time that you gave change to someone on the corner that you DID know well. We have random interactions all the time.

Most people are capable of doing good things, it just takes prodding to get them to do so. We should be trying to do the best that we can, but let's be real, get honest (hahahaha, sound familiar :) ): most people will NOT do these things unless the reward is high enough. For instance, the cute, single woman moving in is going to get more drooling guys over her to help her move in than the 80-year old with the hip replacement and facial reconstructive surgery. It is a sad truth.

But I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said.

Joe Khedouri said...

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I think the only reason you both are sayin this is a waste of time is because you wouldn't be inclined to take action with these specific social networks. There are all types of people in this world, weird, normal, generous, frugal, etc. Though this may not be for you, i can almost guarantee that there will be followers.